2.09.2010

Being Self-Sustainers

“This is one of the more interesting stories we have in the scriptures because it tells of an instance in which the Lord provided help but then stepped aside to allow one of His sons to exercise his own initiative. I have sometimes wondered what would have happened if Nephi had asked the Lord for tools instead of a place to find the ore to make the tools. I doubt the Lord would have honored Nephi’s request. You see, the Lord knew that Nephi could make the tools, and it is seldom the Lord will do something for us that we can do for ourselves.” –Elder L. Tom Perry SM pg 308


We see lots of examples of this same principle in the scriptures all the time, including Abraham, the Brother of Jared and even Christ. The Lord wants us to do all that we can do because this gives us the opportunity to exercise the agency that He has so freely given to us. If he did everything for us he would be taking away our agency and in effect fulfilling that alternate plan presented by our other brother Lucifer. Moses 4:1 “Behold, here am I, send me, I will be thy son, and I will redeem all mankind, that one soul shall not be lost, and surely I will do it; wherefore give me thine honor.” Here we see the clear expression that he, Satan, would do it, not us. If all we ever do is beg and plead for the Lord to take care of our problems then we are also telling him that at that moment we would rather that Satan had been the chosen son. This also reminds me of another quote, not sure where it’s from but it’s good, “Why do we fall down, so we can learn to pick ourselves back up.” If the Lord took care of everything for us there would be not learning or experience. This is why we need to prepare ourselves. When we have prepared for all our needs then it is much easier for the Lord to help us out because he can direct us to that which we have already prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment