“I am not quite sure who has the right or responsibility to declare someone an adult, but I am quite certain that often the least qualified to make the declaration would be the individual himself. If a person is mature, he or she will not need to announce it. Personal conduct is the only true measurement of maturity.” -Marvin J Ashton SM pg 198
I really enjoyed this quote because it is I believe at the heart of the issue. Nobody can ever say that they are humble because so doing expresses pride. Having pride is a sign of immaturity, and when we say that we are an adult we are in a sense saying that we recognize that there times to give way to a more logical or correct argument. By using “I am an adult” in an argument is to deny yourself that attribute that so much desire.
2.08.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment